Since its inception, CMTP has placed the patient and consumer at the center of our work. Recognizing the important input patients and consumers have in the development of research, the Patient and Consumer Advisory Council (PCAC) was formed shortly after CMTP incorporated as a stand-alone 501©3. The PCAC is a nine person standing committee of the Board of Directors of CMTP. Its function is to provide meaningful and substantive input to the Board on all aspects of CMTP’s activity from the perspective of patients and consumers. The PCAC meets four times a year to discuss pertinent issues related to patient engagement activities, and may take on independent activities to further the interests of patients and consumers in the healthcare and evidence-generation sectors.
PCAC contributions to CMTP are to:
- Identify patient and consumer advocates who will meaningfully contribute to committees and workgroups
- Advise staff on developing outreach to other patient and consumer groups to gather their input on products and documents
- Guide us in evaluating previous patient and consumer engagement activities for advancing future work
- Participate in projects to ensure topic selection and study designs reflect the needs of patients and consumers
- Assist with dissemination of reports and research results.
- Periodically evaluate efforts to incorporate patient and consumer input, and suggest modifications to improve these processes.